tech-city-donate

Generic x58 boards from China

2»

Comments

• tom91586 said:
    CHINESE NOCKOFF INTEL X58 EXTREME

OK, here's the update I promised. 
    the first photo you can see how cheaply the board is. VRMs look like covers that are glued on.... southbridge heatsink was not straight and lose. board overall has a really cheap feel about it.
    WITH THAT SAID... it booted right up...
    and, that's bad... because now we can see what we all thought is true... locked down tighter than Dick's hat band...
    Let me get windows fired up and we'll run Aida on it
    Keep us posted!
    That is if his system survives the night
  • q9650q9650 Posts: 35
    I've been really curious about these. Excited to see someone investigate it

CPU:i7-6700k @ 4.7GHz
    CPU COOLING: Corsair H100i GTX
    Mobo: Asus Z170 Deluxe
    GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Ram: Gskill Ripjaw V DDR4 3200mhz @3600MHz (4x4gb) 16GB
    STORAGE: Samsung EVO 850 500GB, 2x 1TB WD black
    PSU: Corsair CX600
    CASE: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
    MONITORS:  ASUS 25" PB258Q , ASUS 24" VG8QE
  • If your chip has an unlocked multiplier you can use Intel XTU to overclock it in an OEM system. I've done a similar build with a T3500 and a $100 w3680, which is the xeon equivalent of the i7-980x, and ran it at 3.8ghz on stock voltage.
    What version of XTU? I tried a version of XTU from right before Sandy Bridge support was added, which puts in line with westmere and nehalem, but it gave me no manual control/overclocking options for anything. Was all greyed out.Though this was with an x5687, which i guess is locked. XTU stopped supporting 1366 a while ago as well (thus why i tried an old version).

Other overclocking options on an OEM board that i haven't fully explored were two applications, one called SetFSB and one called ClockGen. Both require finding the PLL number of the clockspeed generator on the motherboard. Also, TechPowerUp's ThrottleStop program might also work for others (didnt for me though).
    The version I used was the newest one as of about 4 months ago. It allows you to increase the turbo multiplier to get the overclock via turbo.

I totally forgot about throttlestop! It should work with cpu's that have unlocked multipliers. I read a thread a long time ago about a guy with a t3400 (lga 775) system and a core2extreme chip that had it overclocked to over 4 ghz with throttlestop. I want to say that the program allows you to adjust the voltage as well, but VID pad modding is still an option for 1366 cpu's.
  • If your chip has an unlocked multiplier you can use Intel XTU to overclock it in an OEM system. I've done a similar build with a T3500 and a $100 w3680, which is the xeon equivalent of the i7-980x, and ran it at 3.8ghz on stock voltage.
    What version of XTU? I tried a version of XTU from right before Sandy Bridge support was added, which puts in line with westmere and nehalem, but it gave me no manual control/overclocking options for anything. Was all greyed out.Though this was with an x5687, which i guess is locked. XTU stopped supporting 1366 a while ago as well (thus why i tried an old version).

Other overclocking options on an OEM board that i haven't fully explored were two applications, one called SetFSB and one called ClockGen. Both require finding the PLL number of the clockspeed generator on the motherboard. Also, TechPowerUp's ThrottleStop program might also work for others (didnt for me though).
    The version I used was the newest one as of about 4 months ago. It allows you to increase the turbo multiplier to get the overclock via turbo.

I totally forgot about throttlestop! It should work with cpu's that have unlocked multipliers. I read a thread a long time ago about a guy with a t3400 (lga 775) system and a core2extreme chip that had it overclocked to over 4 ghz with throttlestop. I want to say that the program allows you to adjust the voltage as well, but VID pad modding is still an option for 1366 cpu's.
    Not every system works with XTU. At some point HP changed it's bios to intentionally block outside OC programs on the HP Z*** family of workstations. If you can flash an older bios you might get more control but at the sacrifice of ram compatibility.
  • Naw man, I've used it on a Z400 and I'm writing this reply on a Z220 with XTU running in the background. lol

They've pretty much ironed out any compatibility issues with XTU, if it won't run it's because of an issue with the operating system.

http://i.imgur.com/4GzuYeU.png

• Naw man, I've used it on a Z400 and I'm writing this reply on a Z220 with XTU running in the background. lol

They've pretty much ironed out any compatibility issues with XTU, if it won't run it's because of an issue with the operating system.

http://i.imgur.com/4GzuYeU.png

Unless this was changed inside of the last two months or so it's not the case. 
    I have an hp z400 right now that I've had multiple processors in locked, and unlocked and xtu always shows up fully grey since up updated the bios. When I first got my system some options I was able to tweak which is why I said older buos might work for it. But not the most current one.
  • eternal_septembereternal_september Posts: 73
    edited December 2016
    Okay, I was interpreting xtu "not working" as the software itself failing to install or load.

Almost everything is going to be greyed out unless you're using a motherboard that supports native overclocking.
    The only options that will be available for unlocked cpu's on OEM motherboards is the turbo multiplier and power levels. That's how you overclock it - raise the turbo multiplier and power levels to unlimited. There will be no options for fsb/bclk with the oem motherboards. 

Also, the only unlocked 1366 cpu's are the 980x, 990x, w3680, and w3690. Everything else has variable multiplier for speed step, but are locked to a max non-turbo and turbo multipliers so the turbo multipliers will be greyed out in xtu. So unless you have one of the four cpu's mentioned above, everything except turbo power max will be greyed out.

Which cpu's did you use? I was able to change turbo multiplier on a w3680 in my z400.
  • Okay, I was interpreting xtu "not working" as the software itself failing to install or load.

Almost everything is going to be greyed out unless you're using a motherboard that supports native overclocking.
    The only options that will be available for unlocked cpu's on OEM motherboards is the turbo multiplier and power levels. That's how you overclock it - raise the turbo multiplier and power levels to unlimited. There will be no options for fsb/bclk with the oem motherboards. 

Also, the only unlocked 1366 cpu's are the 980x, 990x, w3680, and w3690. Everything else has variable multiplier for speed step, but are locked to a max non-turbo and turbo multipliers so the turbo multipliers will be greyed out in xtu. So unless you have one of the four cpu's mentioned above, everything except turbo power max will be greyed out.

Which cpu's did you use? I was able to change turbo multiplier on a w3680 in my z400.
    I've had several. 
    I have a couple different system for 1366 one running on the HP and one Running on an Asus p6x58d-e. 
    I've run x5520, x5550, x5680, w3670, w3680, w3690, 
    To be honest these systems were dormant for a few years.
    It was watching some youtube stuff that I realized just how viable these system still were and busted them out. So I did sell off some of the better CPU's over time. Right now I have a 3670 in the HP and I have a 5550 in the Asus figured I'd use the lesser one in the board with overclocking so both would be able to run to a level I am satisfied with.
  • manufacturer said they can't edit the bios... they sent me a bios and told me i could edit it as i like...
    well, that's a little outside my wheel house. anyone have any suggestions?
    Tom
    i7 6700k, 256 NVMe drive, 2x1080sli, 2x280rad custom loop
    I build all kind of budget systems.
  • Post a BIOS mod request on the bios-mods.com forums with that bios and see if someone there can help I guess?

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• Yeah if anyone is likely to offer a hand you'd find it there. 
    Tell them what the project is about include a link to one of the sellers moving these.
    Having cheap OC capable x58 boards is in everyones best interest.
  • oopshasorryoopshasorry Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    Brought one of those generic x79 motherboard from aliexpress as an early Christmas's present for myself for $200aud. Seems to work okay. I am seeing a 5% decrease in performance when comparing benchmarks, but that could be the dodgy power suply or ram that I got it hooked up too...

Edit: or the dodgy motherboard I guess haha.
  • I've seen dual socket LGA 1366 mobos floating round ebay for $150 and under. Sure they use ECC memory, but its usually cheaper and OC's a lot better too. That would be an option too if you wanted to get 2x 6 cores and chuck them in there for a cheap workstation build. I would imagine them being reliable as they are ex server parts. I think you can also OC on some of them... or maybe with a modded bios or something.

• DJGAINDJGAIN Posts: 8
    If you guys are looking for an unlocked generic x58... I just got this and its not locked down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPJ37XZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh.. and this guy is taking 10 bucs for this as well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-X5650-2-66GHz-Six-Core-Processor-CPU-/172824601032?epid=82160987&hash=item283d2621c8:g:nbMAAOSwBxhZlezR

Not a bad combo for under 100.00

After I see how far it will go Ill post screenshots.
    Thanked by 1Tech_0ne
  • Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 319
    Not a bad deal. I'll enquire about UK shipping. 

• Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 980ti Matrix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD | Storage - 2 x 500GB  2.5" Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 OC'd to 100hz |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61
    • HTPC:  CPU - Ryzen 5 1600 | Motherboard - Asrock B350 Fatality mini ITX | RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB) | GPU - MSI GTX 1050ti low profile  | Case - NFC S4 Mini | Boot Drive -  Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" | PSU - HDPLEX internal 300W AC / HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX | Display -  55" Sony 4k TV | Cooling - Noctua NH L9i
    • Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4

• DJGAINDJGAIN Posts: 8
    Hold up.... bclk is set to 166 but it's not showing any change from 133 in Windows. Here in this pic you can see the frequency is correct but the bclk is not. WTF is going on here. Setting are able to change but they don't show any signs of change in windows??? Any thoughts??
  • This is probably obvious but when you set bclk you must restart back to BIOS to see the change. Also in windows OS, the CPU-Z or w/e you use might show 133 if you have some funky turbo settings. If all turbo is off and the BCLK online shows a change at BIOS idk what the issue could be o.O
  • RyehRyeh Posts: 1
    edited January 6
    Hello guys, I bought the X58 Chinese Motheboard bundled with a e5620 and 8gb ddr3 ecc. I have to say Iam very happy for the price, but there was some problems like a ram slot wouldnt work, but its all fixed up. Ive had this motherboard for almost 7 months and it works like a champ. I upgraded to a x5660 (6core) and can play anything almost on Ultra 60fps+

Edit: Planning to upgrade GPU from GTX 960 to a 1060 or 1070. 960 seems to bottleneck my cpu. Cheers!
    Thanked by 1CoalitionGaming
  • FunPosterFunPoster Posts: 22
    Came here to update anyone googling about this (I know I was at one point), but a pretty nice series of youtube videos were put out by this guy who was investigating generic X79 boards, in the same vein as this thread -

The verdict pretty much seems to be that these boards will be good enough to allow the CPU to turbo all the way up, but you certainly won't be doing any overclocking, either due to the locked down BIOS (as seen in this thread), the lack of power delivery (at least on the X58 boards, which all only have a 4pin CPU connector), or the lack of VRM heatsinks which seems to apply to them pretty much universally.

Certainly not a bad deal if you're OK having slightly sketchy hardware for personal use, and you don't want to overclock your processor. You do save yourself about $120-150 by choosing not to do so, it seems.
    CPU - R7 1700 @ 3.9GHz | Motherboard- Asus Crosshair VI Hero | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz | GPU - Asus GTX 1080 Strix | Case - Fractal Define R5 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Storage - Mushkin Reaktor 1TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB  | PSU - Seasonic x-750 750W | Display - Asus PB258Q 25" 1440p |  Cooling - Noctua NH-D15