Worst GPU You've owned?

The Fire Pro isn't the best for gaming and it's drivers are old, but does ok in CAD. Still a piece of garbage, maybe it'll grow into a RX 480?
Once upon a time I purchased a IBUYPOWER PC for 1000$. It didn't meet my expectations. I was doing a lot of research and ventured into a new thing called "overclocking" and how you could get FREE performance. I did more research and I found a overclocking guide from Tech YES City or Bryan as some may know him. It was on overclocking the AMD AM3+ CPU's Like the 8350 & 8320. I had two other tabs open for a tutorial on overclocking the FX chips from JaysTwoCents and Crit TV or "Logan". These guys felt boring and not relatable, however when I saw Brian's suit in the reflection then something odd happened. I don't know what but something clicked. I changed that day, binge watching EVERY single video of Brian I could. Learning about hardware and the tricks of the trade. It felt like I could relate a lot, especially since this period was the most stressful of my life, but Brian's quirky fun roughing used parts got me through EACH day. I would sit on the floor with my IBUYPOWER PC for hours accomplishing nothing but having too much fun moving parts, removing things, changing fan directions, overclocking, looking for things to improve and more, all while I had Brian building PC's in the back round on my TV. I then started along my PC building journeys with a X58 system I put together for $158. That PC would give me over 25 More FPS in ALL of my games and then some. Then my hunger for hardware grew and I branched into collecting and testing all kinds of hardware on my YouTube Channel specifying in graphics cards.

I then found a E-Waste recycling center by mistake where I score hardware at for nothing at all. I returned every week for multiple months always buying something. Then I ended up getting a job there due to my dedication and honesty. All thanks to Bryan and my drive to find deals. And that's ALL! Check the channel if you like www.youtube.com/c/icebergs

Comments

• WavadeeWavadee Posts: 86
    Gosh, that was the first upgrade I attempted, I thought I'd get a cheap GT 710 1GB and imagined I would be playing AAA titles. In reality, it performed little better than the APU. Finally figured out old stuff can be loads cheaper and perform really well.
  • NachoManNachoMan Posts: 31
    I have a GT 610 sitting in a box, if that counts, and previously, some built in gpu on a lga 775 motherboard.
  • IceBergsIceBergs Posts: 112
    NachoMan said:
    I have a GT 610 sitting in a box, if that counts, and previously, some built in gpu on a lga 775 motherboard.
    GT 610 Counts. I see tons of those and I won't even buy them for a dollar
    Once upon a time I purchased a IBUYPOWER PC for 1000$. It didn't meet my expectations. I was doing a lot of research and ventured into a new thing called "overclocking" and how you could get FREE performance. I did more research and I found a overclocking guide from Tech YES City or Bryan as some may know him. It was on overclocking the AMD AM3+ CPU's Like the 8350 & 8320. I had two other tabs open for a tutorial on overclocking the FX chips from JaysTwoCents and Crit TV or "Logan". These guys felt boring and not relatable, however when I saw Brian's suit in the reflection then something odd happened. I don't know what but something clicked. I changed that day, binge watching EVERY single video of Brian I could. Learning about hardware and the tricks of the trade. It felt like I could relate a lot, especially since this period was the most stressful of my life, but Brian's quirky fun roughing used parts got me through EACH day. I would sit on the floor with my IBUYPOWER PC for hours accomplishing nothing but having too much fun moving parts, removing things, changing fan directions, overclocking, looking for things to improve and more, all while I had Brian building PC's in the back round on my TV. I then started along my PC building journeys with a X58 system I put together for $158. That PC would give me over 25 More FPS in ALL of my games and then some. Then my hunger for hardware grew and I branched into collecting and testing all kinds of hardware on my YouTube Channel specifying in graphics cards.

I then found a E-Waste recycling center by mistake where I score hardware at for nothing at all. I returned every week for multiple months always buying something. Then I ended up getting a job there due to my dedication and honesty. All thanks to Bryan and my drive to find deals. And that's ALL! Check the channel if you like www.youtube.com/c/icebergs

• NachoManNachoMan Posts: 31
    It was bought for my sister so she could play the sims 4. :P 
  • Either a Geforce 4 MX420 PCI, or an AGP MSI Radeon 8300. Probably the 8300 as it came out defective on top of already sucking. Ended up replacing it with the MX420 even lol. Worked fine for general non-gaming use.

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 268
    edited February 22
    Probably the GT555M in my old laptop, that thing got HOT! I can still feel the heat in my loins :P Still it served me well for a couple of years.

Other than that a buggy GTX460 768mb version that only worked when the moon was full on a mid summer nights eve and the wind was blowing easterly.
    Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 980ti Matrix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 | Storage - 2 x Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61

2nd Rig:  CPU - X5650 | Motherboard - MSI  X58 Pro-E | RAM - 6 x 2GB mix and match | GPU - 2 x Asus GTX 970 turbo in SLI | Case - InWin H-Frame | Boot Drive - Crucial BX100 120GB | Storage - 1TB Seagate | PSU - Corsair CXM 750 | Cooling - Hyper 212 EVO

Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4

• PetrichorPetrichor Posts: 141
    edited February 22

It was the old GeForce 4 Ti 4800...price was high af....it was such a bad card in almost every way....performance was awesome but it was overheating for some unknown reason, sometimes it just stopped working and as soon as i plug in another card everything worked perfectly...i used it for a few months then it just died, i got a replacement and it died too so i just gave up and got a different card.
    “All humans die but few have lived.”
    www.milunkukalj.uk
    -->Tech City Forum Administrator <--
  • Man, do you have any plans for those three v5800's? I actually have some cad pc's that run the software on a network license and they are using onboard graphics right now, the three cards you have would be just absolutely perfect to slide in to some of them. If you'd be interested in selling them to be put to good use, id be interested.
  • IceBergsIceBergs Posts: 112
    Man, do you have any plans for those three v5800's? I actually have some cad pc's that run the software on a network license and they are using onboard graphics right now, the three cards you have would be just absolutely perfect to slide in to some of them. If you'd be interested in selling them to be put to good use, id be interested.
    I'd be willing to sell them to you cheaply (like 90$ for all 3) but I live in the bay area and really don't want to ship anything

• This is the 8400gs
    512mb of ddr2 video memory
    450 mhz core clock 
    400 mhz mem clock 
    100% garbage all the way. This thing can barely handle Doom 3 let alone anything from when this card was released. Temps would be 50c on idle and 80c on any load what so ever. This card would struggle with 480p youtube in fullscreen. It was awful. 0/10 F*** this card

My Current Specs (The important stuff)
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5630 4C8T clocked @ 2.8 ghz
    Ram: 24gb of ddr3 ecc ram  
    GPU: Sapphire R9 280x toxic

• leafflatleafflat Posts: 569

This is the 8400gs
    450 mhz core clock 
    400 mhz mem clock 
    100% garbage all the way. This thing can barely handle Doom 3 let alone anything from when this card was released. Temps would be 50c on idle and 80c on any load what so ever. This card would struggle with 480p youtube in fullscreen. It was awful. 0/10 F*** this card
    To be fair, it doesn't look like it should game lol.
    S[340]Blind:  Link to YouTube video.
    i7-4770
    MSI Z97s Krait
    Captain 120 White AIO
    16gb RAM
    GTX 1060

• leafflat said:

This is the 8400gs
    450 mhz core clock 
    400 mhz mem clock 
    To be fair, it doesn't look like it should game lol.
    Yeah its was more of a display adapter than anything else. But the thing is, even as a display adapter for something like a media pc, it was terrible. Video playback made this thing hot as hell and would skip and stutter after about an hour. Maybe I just got a crappy binned card, but really F*** this card.

My Current Specs (The important stuff)
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5630 4C8T clocked @ 2.8 ghz
    Ram: 24gb of ddr3 ecc ram  
    GPU: Sapphire R9 280x toxic

• I had an hd 5450. It was basically a media adapter.
    It supported a few hd formats better than the computers internal systems. So  I got it.
    What a pain in the butt.
    The hdmi stopped having sound for no reason. Was working fine. Nothing happened to it. The contacts shouldn't have been affected wasn't like it was being moved or unplugged and plugged back in all the time. It wasn't the end of the world. Just meant I had to plug in sound. But then the video was jittery. The card started to overheat even just watching dvd's. It became impossible to use it for Hd playback of more then ten minutes.
    I don't recall what happened to it. But I stopped using it. I don't remember if it was donated to a friend to tinker with or if it had a date with the trash. I know I didn't destroy it because I'd remember the vindicating feel of smashing the shit out of it.
  • Oh you know what...

I had a Geforce FX 5200.

nuff' said, right?

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• TheRedTheRed Posts: 24
    A R7 250X 2GB model... from MSI! Not buying anything msi branded ever!
    ''We are number ONE''
  • DarkKristenDarkKristen Posts: 2
    A Quadro FX 380.... came with a Z200 SFF workstation I used to have. 
  • Sir_iceeiceSir_iceeice Posts: 117
    The GT 630 that came with my first PC got +180Mhz core and +180Mhz on the memory. With that card i was able to play World of Tanks at low setting 30-45fps but some day it would not want to work and I would get 24-30 fps.
    Motherboard : ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (8 + 4 Power Phase Design)
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k at 4.7GHz  1.32v
    CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240
    Ram: V-Color OC Series 16GB (4x4GB) 2000Mhz 10-11-11-30-1T at 1.550v
    Storage:  ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 480GB and 2Tb 3.5" Seagate
    Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition at 2000Mhz
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS
    Mouse: MSI Interceptor
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Red
    Monitors : 3x AOC 22" 1080p, 1x Dell 1080p Monitor