Quiet Graphics Cards

Hello,
I'm currently running a 4670k i5 processor and a GTX560ti graphics card. The card is powerful enough to play the online games I usually use (star Trek On Line and World of Tanks). My problem is the graphics card even when not under load is very loud.No problem when gaming but really distracting when the PC is used for study work. I was thinking about changing to one of the Gigabyte Strix cards either the 1050 or 1050ti where the fan doesn't come on unless under heavy load.
Can the forum advise if these are good choices?
Many thanks

Comments

• UngariUngari Posts: 278
    edited March 29
    Almost all board partner cards today from both Nvidia and AMD have the same feature where the fans will not kick-on until the GPU load raises the temperature to a certain degree. Many cards also offer a Dual BIOS that has a Quiet Mode, and if not you can create your own quiet custom fan curves using the software or Afterburner.

There is no "Gigabyte Strix".
    As to ASUS Strix, they usually offer very high quality products, but in my opinion their prices are simply too high for what you get compared to many other brands.

If you are in fact talking Gigabyte, I would read build quality reviews on the specific cards as they seem to vary in quality from very good to very bad depending on the model and manufacturer i.e. RX 480.

Unless your budget is severely limited(mine certainly is!), I would step up to a GTX 1060 6GB or an RX 480 8GB or the soon coming RX 580 refresh. You will be more "Future Proof" and if you discover a new game you want to play, your GFX card wont hold you back.

• Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 289
    edited March 30
    I've not had a 1050 or 1050ti STRIX but my 980 STRIX  was really good, very quiet and cool and great build quality. I honestly don't remember seeing it hit 70°c. I must admit I like the STRIX and ASUS cards in general, I'm currently running the 980ti matrix and it's a beast.

That being said in Bryan's latest vid he said the RX470 STRIX wasn't that great at staying cool so you might want to look at a few reviews of the 1050ti or whatever you decide on.
    Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 980ti Matrix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 | Storage - 2 x Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61

2nd Rig:  CPU - X5650 | Motherboard - MSI  X58 Pro-E | RAM - 12GB DDR3 (6 x 2GB) | GPU - 2 x Asus GTX 970 turbo in SLI | Case - InWin H-Frame | Boot Drive - Crucial BX100 120GB | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU - Corsair CXM 750 | Cooling - Hyper 212 EVO

Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4

• UngariUngari Posts: 278
    edited March 30
    I was looking to buy a 6 month old used ASUS 980 MATRIX off of a gaming buddy because the quality was such that it had defrosters on the VRAM for sub-zero cooling. New, the card was the highest price of any 980 on the market though, which is consistent for all ASUS products. At the base level of 50 Series cards, I don't think you need to have the very best and as I said before I think you should step up to at least the 1060 or 480 so you can play more demanding titles in the future.
  • RicardoRicardo Posts: 26
    Your question immediately reminded me of the Palit GTX 1050ti KalmX. I was very surprised by Steve's findings  on the temperatures of this fanless card. 

• Sir_iceeiceSir_iceeice Posts: 136
    edited July 20
    The GTX 480 is the most quietest and coolest card that has ever been made.

Motherboard : ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (8 + 4 Power Phase Design)
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k at 4.7GHz  1.32v
    CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240
    Ram: V-Color OC Series 16GB (4x4GB) 2133Mhz 10-11-11-30-1T at 1.550v
    Storage:  ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 480GB and 2Tb 3.5" Seagate
    Graphic Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS
    Mouse: MSI Interceptor
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Red
    Monitors : 3x AOC 22" 1080p, 1x Dell 1080p Monitor