The Business PC Resurrection

MainewhaMainewha Posts: 14

(Provided I got the right place here)

For starters, the blame for this can be placed solely on the shoulders of our wonderful host and his little video from just a shade over a year ago.

Awhile back I decided to help a friend out and make him a computer because the one he had was just abysmally slow that he could walk away for ten minutes and come back to find his web browser is finally open.

During this process I ended up with his old machine and I decided to see if I could maybe revive it and make something of it.

Most matters with regards to upgradable parts is pretty straight-forward and simple, though with a power budget of all things to deal with, that means that one item needs a shade more consideration, mainly what kind of graphics card to stick in this machine.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the matter, especially since there's very few low-profile options of any decency to make note of.

Prospective cards:
GT730, RX460, GTX1050, another GTX1050, and a GTX1050 TI

Machine in question: HP dc7900

Comments

• Sir_iceeiceSir_iceeice Posts: 146
    Do not get the GT630 for the cost it way under powered.
    Thanked by 1Mainewha
    Motherboard : ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (8 + 4 Power Phase Design)
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k at 4.7GHz  1.32v
    CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240
    Ram: V-Color OC Series 16GB (4x4GB) 2133Mhz 10-11-11-30-1T at 1.550v
    Storage:  ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 480GB and 2Tb 3.5" Seagate
    Graphic Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS
    Mouse: MSI Interceptor
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Red
    Monitors : 3x AOC 22" 1080p, 1x Dell 1080p Monitor

• exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 391
    Considering the premium you are paying for a low power low profile card your best best might be to upgrade the case and power supply. I mean the low profile versions of the 1050ti last I saw was going for more then most of the better rx480's and gtx 1060's and with considerably lower performance. Unless you have a specific need for a super small lower power consumption that is.
  • MainewhaMainewha Posts: 14
    Considering the premium you are paying for a low power low profile card your best best might be to upgrade the case and power supply. I mean the low profile versions of the 1050ti last I saw was going for more then most of the better rx480's and gtx 1060's and with considerably lower performance. Unless you have a specific need for a super small lower power consumption that is.

In this instance that is not an option, The point here is to make use of a existing locked form-factor and making the best out of it that is possible. In this instance, it is a form known as SFF/Small Form Factor.

Plus the challenge is seeing if I can do what I want with it, and have enough electricity to make it happen, the power supply is locked as well at 240W.

• CoalitionGamingCoalitionGaming Posts: 243
    edited April 26
    Would this be doable?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081

No external power needed, SFF compatible, pretty much the most power in a GPU for SFF that you can get.

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• leafflatleafflat Posts: 628
    edited April 26
    What are the specs of the rest of the computer? A gtx 1050 ti isn't going to miraculously speed up a core 2 duo.
    If a web browser is taking a while to open there might be a better route to take then a GPU
    S[340]Blind:  Link to YouTube video.
    i7-4770
    MSI Z97s Krait
    Deepcool Captain 120 White AIO
    16gb RAM
    Asus Strix Gtx 1080

My sanity for HP not killing some of their resource links please.
    Updated link
    leafflat said:
    What are the specs of the rest of the computer? A gtx 1050 ti isn't going to miraculously speed up a core 2 duo.
    If a web browser is taking a while to open there might be a better route to take then a GPU

Not when I can change to a quad core (Q6700), or a better dual core (E6850). My friend had that put together with a LOT of random parts, including a hybrid drive and a standard drive, the ram most likely wasn't the best either, it was not put together for efficiency I can assure you, but thats what is being fixed in this project.
    UPDATE:
    Managed to find some matching RAM to what was inside the case (KHX6400D2K2/4G kit from the UK to go with the ones inside. the two slower MHz 1gb sticks KTH-XW4300/1G, will be removed outright and bagged). This will bring it all up to a nice 8GB of DDR2 memory. (That stuff is a pain to find new, and what few there are that's non-server, is RIDICULOUSLY expensive in some cases)  EBay is a good resource on this build.

Looking into that new CPU; Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 to replace the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 that's inside it. EBay once again has some nice options to look into at reasonable prices.

I do plan on doing a (assumedly standard) Boot SSD/Storage HDD setup, using a WD Blue 1TB, and a SSD off of this list

For the moment the 1050 TI is still the front-runner graphics card for this project (when they're made for SFF applications they're not as powerful as their normal full-sized and fully-powered big brothers), though a check through Ebay is in order.

• Sir_iceeiceSir_iceeice Posts: 146
    edited May 16
    Mainewha said:
    UPDATE:
    Managed to find some matching RAM to what was inside the case (KHX6400D2K2/4G kit from the UK to go with the ones inside. the two slower MHz 1gb sticks KTH-XW4300/1G, will be removed outright and bagged). This will bring it all up to a nice 8GB of DDR2 memory. (That stuff is a pain to find new, and what few there are that's non-server, is RIDICULOUSLY expensive in some cases)  EBay is a good resource on this build.

Looking into that new CPU; Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 to replace the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 that's inside it. EBay once again has some nice options to look into at reasonable prices.

I do plan on doing a (assumedly standard) Boot SSD/Storage HDD setup, using a WD Blue 1TB, and a SSD off of this list

For the moment the 1050 TI is still the front-runner graphics card for this project (when they're made for SFF applications they're not as powerful as their normal full-sized and fully-powered big brothers), though a check through Ebay is in order.

You can mod a LGA 775 motherboard to use LGA 771 Xeon, because on eBay LGA 771 Xeon are cheaper than the Core 2 Quad.

Motherboard : ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (8 + 4 Power Phase Design)
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k at 4.7GHz  1.32v
    CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240
    Ram: V-Color OC Series 16GB (4x4GB) 2133Mhz 10-11-11-30-1T at 1.550v
    Storage:  ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 480GB and 2Tb 3.5" Seagate
    Graphic Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS
    Mouse: MSI Interceptor
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Red
    Monitors : 3x AOC 22" 1080p, 1x Dell 1080p Monitor

Mainewha said:
    UPDATE:

You can mod a LGA 775 motherboard to use LGA 771 Xeon, because on eBay LGA 771 Xeon are cheaper than the Core 2 Quad.

Something to consider, provided I can actually do a BIOS update for a HP board
  • CoalitionGamingCoalitionGaming Posts: 243
    Not all OEMs support all 771 modded Xeons. See if you have some compatibility here

http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/3/

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

After waiting for parts to arrive (and a few extra cables since the existing ones were SATA II), the time has finally come to assemble everything together and generally ensure that everything works. And after several tests to ensure that the new RAM, drives, an graphics card would indeed work within the system, but that the system would POST and allow me to enter BIOS to verify. I am very happy to announce that not only did the system accept the new CPU, RAM, and drives, but even with the graphics card, everything s working together quite nicely. Now comes the time to start installing the OS, and getting things moving on some simple benchmarks.

For those interested in seeing some pictures, go ahead and look at this set of photos.

So everything's been installed, updated and is running. Now its time to get some lovely benchmark and real-world numbers in and see what I am managing with all of this.

Heres a few benchmarks I managed to find and pull together, if you have any suggestions for other items, please share.

Alrighty, well good news, I am done with this build. Better news: It's going off to it's new owner so at this point it's time for some conclusions!

Ebay is a good resource when your looking for parts that are either hard to get ahold of new, or are no longer available new anymore like what I ended up doing for the CPU and RAM. Otherwise new parts sites like Newegg and Amazon are good options though its always important to check between them for the best pricing.

Your probably wondering 'What the bloody hell are you going to do with that thing now that your done? Take it apart and use the parts elsewhere?'

Nope! Already sent it to someone who could make good use of it elsewhere.

So in conclusion, if you have the time and patience, its worth it.

And now I can move onto the next project, a pair of OptiPlex 740's

Thanked by 1CoalitionGaming