Intel's rumored Coffee Lake i3-8100 and 8700K

Intel are rumored to be firing back with these two CPUs, making the i3 a 4c/4t and apparently 3.6ghz clock speeds at $120... (need to see it to believe it), though at that price with a cooler and of course coupled with a budget, im assuming h310 motherboard, it will definitely hit competition hard.  

Also the 6 core 12 threaded overclocking 8700k is looking pretty strong too, though what are you guy's thoughts on this?
Happy New Year's Everyone, here is to an awesome 2017!

Comments

• leafflatleafflat Posts: 599
    Happy to see prices dropping. And isn't gonna win but it's good to have some competition to bring down the prices. 

An i3 at that price, core count and frequency makes i5's seem pretty useless. Curious to see what the cache will be.
    S[340]Blind:  Link to YouTube video.
    i7-4770
    MSI Z97s Krait
    Captain 120 White AIO
    16gb RAM
    GTX 1060

• Incredibly disappointed that intel is making yet ANOTHER socket for this platform, but the pin count is still the same. This could have been huge if intel let the skylake chipset series and kaby lake chipset series get a BIOS update to run Coffee Lake. What a fail on that front.

On its own, this is just another refresh of skylake but with more cores. Not that thats a bad thing, thats a really damn good thing, but it isn't much of an improvement architecture vs architecture. This will be a much bigger deal for the budget crowd with the quad core i3 though, and maybe even the 6 core i5. The 6c/12t i7 by itself is pretty drastic and significant too, but this win for consumers has a sour side to it, and thats intel making it on a "new" socket 1151. They probably wont lower their prices much when these release, i can even see them increasing them a little over the previous gen cuz "hey, we got more cores now so if you want the best IPC with good amount of cores, then thats the price you pay" sorta thing. 

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 383
    edited August 17
    I'll buy the entire lineup getting a push up. Makes sense for the i3 to be what the i5's were. Then the i5's can be 4c/8t like the i7's were and you can introduce the i7 with the 6c/12t on the consumer platform.

The socket change is a poor choice at this stage. That to upgrade to the new cpu's you have to upgrade the entire platform. Because frankly if you are going to upgrade the entire platform you'd be kinda silly to not be going to AMD's side these days. But I'm sure this stuff was in development for years. You can't throw all of that away just because someone else is finally having success. 

But yeah even if I came into a bunch of money for free. I'd not be buying a new intel system with the way things are right now. It's just a poor value proposition.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 256
    I heard there is quite a decent improvement in IPC, would be pretty crazy if they do deliver their intended 11%
    Happy New Year's Everyone, here is to an awesome 2017!
  • exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 383
    I'm hearing more like 7% but even that is solid gains considering the way things have been. 7% and more cores or cores and threads across the entire line has potential. 

But unless these are going to be the cheapest consumer motherboards ever or the prices of the cpus are radically shaken up I still just don't see going the intel direction. 
  • im still under the impression its still rehashed skylake/kabylake. Its IPC gain will likely be slightly related to architectural improvement, then the rest will be covered by clockspeed improvement i bet. Would be nice if they manage 10% more, architecturally though. 

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//