X58 Going up in smoke times two

So i dug up my asus rampage 2 extreme x58 motherboard and tested it with a xenon cpu i got from a guy and it worked when i test it first time even posted to windows and i decided to put it in my wife's desk case (z87 g43 gaming I5-4670k) to do some more tests. When i hooked up all her components and discs and powered it i saw smoke from under the asus logo next to the north bridge chip. I powered it off and checked for burn marks but nothing i swaped the xeon for my 950 but nothing. I then got a msi x58 pro from another guy and i checked that it worked with the 950 but when i put it in the desk case and hooked all the components up almost the same thing happened smoke from a chip above the cpu socket. I have never seen anything like this every in all my years and the strange thing is that i put my wife's z87 g43 gaming board back in and it works and all the components work. I was wondering if there is a possibility that the socket backplate touched the case and shorted out something ?   
Specs are 
msi z87 g43 gaming 
i5 4670k 
16gb hyperx 1800
gtx 760 
corsair gx 600
3x 1tb wd 
120gb Samsung ssd
 custom loop

Comments

• double check your motherboard standoffs and PSU connections, you might have a short

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• DistopikDistopik Posts: 10
    i use nylon plastic standoffs so it thats not the issue 
  • DistopikDistopik Posts: 10
    So after scrutinizing the motherboard further i noticed that there is a pcb trace at the top of the board that looks like it melted, It was kind of obvious once i actually looked closely at the board instead of the caps lol So im hoping that soldering the trace will fix the issue.  
  • leafflatleafflat Posts: 628
    Good luck, that really sucks.
    S[340]Blind:  Link to YouTube video.
    i7-4770
    MSI Z97s Krait
    Deepcool Captain 120 White AIO
    16gb RAM
    Asus Strix Gtx 1080