Leaked AIO

Hey there,
so my friend has an AIO he has been using with a broken pump, temps were acceptable for the most part, but then his pc randomly froze and died. After inspection he noticed there was less liquid in the AIO than he had put, but no signs of corrosion on the motherboard, so by process of elimination we are pretty sure it was leaking onto the edges of the cpu socket, then into the cpu socket. He knows something is dead, what I'm wondering is, how likely is it that its just his cpu or mobo that fried and how likely is it that both are fried. I'm thinking both myself but it is always good to get a second opinion/diagnostic in case I am in the wrong ballpark completely.
Any info should be helpful thanks.

Comments

• Depends on how good the motherboard was. Good motherboards tend to have protections on them to avoid frying anything else. Bad ones tend to not. If it's a good motherboard everything else will likely be fine with just some cleaning. If not then it's possible to have lost the cpu too for certain.
  • Sir_iceeiceSir_iceeice Posts: 146
    If liquid went onto the motherboard then get a cotton ball and Rubbing Alcohol clean it, after that get a different cool and turn on the machine.
    Motherboard : ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (8 + 4 Power Phase Design)
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k at 4.7GHz  1.32v
    CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240
    Ram: V-Color OC Series 16GB (4x4GB) 2133Mhz 10-11-11-30-1T at 1.550v
    Storage:  ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 480GB and 2Tb 3.5" Seagate
    Graphic Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS
    Mouse: MSI Interceptor
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Red
    Monitors : 3x AOC 22" 1080p, 1x Dell 1080p Monitor

• Turns out his 80+ gold PSU died from this leak
  • BryanBryan Posts: 257
    Oh damn, yeah I recently had a pipe just break off an AIO.... lucky it was off the whole system when it happened... if it happens live then you will have to immediately turn the power off and hope that nothing was damaged.... damn shame that the PSU died, guess his lucky that nothing else went with it.
    Happy New Year's Everyone, here is to an awesome 2017!