tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

3960X woes: time to upgrade?

First off, system specs.
I've been running a 3960X(fairly mild 4.4ghz OC) under a deep cool captain 360x, in an Asus Rampage IV Extreme with 32GB(4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance and a Sapphire Nitro Fury for just over a year.  For a year and a half or so before that I was running an Intel board(DX79SO want to say?), with an E5-1650(with a fairly sedate 4.3ghz overclock). I run a pair of freesync 1080p 75hz ultrawides. Some part of this setup is prone to some small amount of microstutter in some titles, but it holds a stable 60 in *most* current titles, and with freesync most dips are hardly noticeable.

I'm aware the E5-1650 is virtually identical silicon to the 3960X, but I got the motherboard+CPU for a really decent price and so kept both sets together. That 1650 still holds it's overclock and replaced the core platform of a good friend who was suffering under a first gen i5. The main tradeup is better fan control, more USB ports, and actual working front panel USB 3.0(that intel board had a really flaky 3.0 controller)

For the future, I'm looking at a new GPU, and I'm moderately worried the old Sandy Bridge E chip isn't going to hold up under the weight of a 1070ti/1080/Vegawhatever.

For CPU, I require six cores. I could take or leave hyperthreading/SMT, it doesn't help out my(non gaming) usecases. Once you go hex, you can never go back.
For GPU, I just want 1080p ultrawide at a relatively steady 75 fps without much stutter, whilst streaming video and music on the second screen. I'm reasonably sure even the base 1070 would do this, but it's not *that* much of an upgrade from a Fury that it seems worth it.
For RAM, 32GB is not mandatory. I have 32GB because I already had 16 when I went to quad channel it seemed silly not to utilize that capability. DDR3 was, at the time, cheap and cheerful.

Now, on to the actual question:
Should I ditch the Fury, which due to hashrate, is apparently worth more than I paid for it at the moment, and drop in a 1070ti or 1080(would go vega for freesync, but vega is unobtanium around here and has been price jacked on newegg for months) and hold off on a new motherboard/cpu/ram for a few months(4-6, if the budget holds out), or do the inverse, and keep the Fury for a similar amount of time or maybe a bit more, and drop in a DDR4 platform of some sort of at least hex core, and I'm not sure which one, but maybe 8600k, the only i5 I've been excited about since i5s were a thing. Budget after the holidays projected at around $500-600, if I don't overspend on all the holiday things.

Third alternative: Buy $500 in booze, and try not to die of blood/alcohol poisoning.

Comments

• leafflatleafflat Posts: 632
    edited November 2017
    How much is the fury selling for, if you can make a profit or pay for most of the 1070ti or 1080 then that seems like a given regardless if you buy new cpu/motherboard/ram. 

Plus 600 will only cover cpu and motherboard. DDR4 prices make it hard to upgrade all three of those things for under 1000 with a decent amount of ram.
    S[340]Blind:  Link to YouTube video.
    i7-4770
    MSI Z97s Krait
    Deepcool Captain 120 White AIO
    16gb RAM
    Asus Strix Gtx 1080