Got some old components to use up

Hi all,

I've got some DDR3-1600 sticks, an old case, and a HDD. What’s the best bang for buck system I can build given the limitation of DDR3? 1150 motherboards don’t look cheap yet so was wondering if any other combos were better value?

joe

Comments

• z87 and z97 boards with a devil's canyon CPU  (probably an i5-4690k) would probably be your best bang for buck system to use that stuff with. 
    Thanked by 1joe.keaveney

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Intel DZ77GA-70k Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• joe.keaveneyjoe.keaveney Posts: 2
    edited December 10
    Thanks, I was inspired by Bryan's video on the X3430 and got looking at the 1366 motherboards - memory is so expensive at the moment so I'm keen to keep the cost down as much as possible. I'll take a look at Z87 boards as I guess they're cheaper?

I did see the W3565 on LGA1366 - any good?

Browsing Aliexpress is addictive!
  • Basically any of the Xeons for LGA 1366 will do you very well.  I personally have the W3565 in a Dell T3500 I use as a guest gaming PC and it works wonders.  If you're planning on using an overclockable motherboard, then the W3565 will do most anything you ask of it, on a budget.

I know LGA 1366 motherboards are rather expensive for older hardware, but the extremely low prices of the CPUs more than make up for it and they perform amazingly well.

If you're looking for a low budget DDR3 system to game with, then I would recommend LGA 1366 everytime.  If you're willing to pay about $20 more for it though, then I would go with the Xeon X5650 over the W3565.  However, both are great CPUs, especially for the current prices.
  • The other nice thing about the 1366 platform is the ability to use cheaper ecc ram. It's performance is going to take a slight hit as it does the added function but you'll be able to put in a lot more ram for your buck and as a rule more ram is better than slightly better performing ram in virtually every application.