tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

CPU suggestions...

JamesBryantJamesBryant Posts: 2
edited January 12 in PC Builds
So at the end of 2017 in about October I decided to start looking at replacing/updating my gaming rig...

The parts I've gathered are:

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Mobo
16GB of Corsair LPX 3000mhz 
Gigabyte RX 580 8GB GPU

I've already got
An Antec case which is ok... ATX with decent cooling, nothing amazing.
650W 80+ Seagate PSU that is modular
Kingston 120GB SSD
And about 5TB of HDD from older builds

So I use my computer for graphics work and some video editing but want to do more video work in the future.
The games I mainly play:
PUBG
CS:GO
ElDorito Halo Online

So thoughts on what CPU I should be looking at! Ryzen 5 1600 or 1400 or even the 1300x?

Just curious about what people think I should be getting.

Budget is important - easily the limiting factor.

Comments

• I'm not entirely an expert on graphics work, but will try my hand at it.  I do know that if you're using Autocad or anything similar, then you're going to want a powerful graphics card (which you have) and a CPU with high single threaded performance.  In this regard, I would recommend anything with hyperthreading and as high a core clock as you can get (pretty much what you'd want for a gaming computer).

With that said, looking at the Ryzen lineup, I would probably recommend the Ryzen 5 1600X (3.6GHz core clock; 4.0GHz turbo), or if that's too high a cost then the Ryzen 5 1500X (3.5GHz core clock; 3.7GHz turbo).  There's also the Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6GHz core clock; 4.0GHz turbo) but you're not likely to see much (if any) performance improvement over the 1600X due to similar clock speeds.

Everything else in your specs look good to me.
  • Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 319
    edited January 13
    I'd go for the Ryzen 5 1600 non X if you're comfortable overclocking. Cheaper than the 1600x and seems to get same clock speeds when OC'd, also comes with a cooler that you could sell  if you want to use after market cooling. I have heard the Ryzen chips are not the best for PUBG though, not sure why, probably just optimisation for Intel over AMD :(

For video editing I would assume more cores is better depending on what software you use, so the highest core count you can afford is probably best, so R5 1600/X or R7 1700/X would be best if you can afford them.

If you're not in a big hurry it might be worth waiting for Ryzen 2 that has been announced recently and could be compatible with b350 boards (hopefully) with a bios update, hopefully a new mobo/chipset won't be a requirement.

What specs is your current rig?

• Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 980ti Matrix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD | Storage - 2 x 500GB  2.5" Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 OC'd to 100hz |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61
    • HTPC:  CPU - Ryzen 5 1600 | Motherboard - Asrock B350 Fatality mini ITX | RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB) | GPU - MSI GTX 1050ti low profile  | Case - NFC S4 Mini | Boot Drive -  Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" | PSU - HDPLEX internal 300W AC / HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX | Display -  55" Sony 4k TV | Cooling - Noctua NH L9i
    • Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4