tech-city-donate

CPU suggestions...

JamesBryantJamesBryant Posts: 2
edited January 12 in PC Builds
So at the end of 2017 in about October I decided to start looking at replacing/updating my gaming rig...

The parts I've gathered are:

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Mobo
16GB of Corsair LPX 3000mhz 
Gigabyte RX 580 8GB GPU

I've already got
An Antec case which is ok... ATX with decent cooling, nothing amazing.
650W 80+ Seagate PSU that is modular
Kingston 120GB SSD
And about 5TB of HDD from older builds

So I use my computer for graphics work and some video editing but want to do more video work in the future.
The games I mainly play:
PUBG
CS:GO
ElDorito Halo Online

So thoughts on what CPU I should be looking at! Ryzen 5 1600 or 1400 or even the 1300x?

Just curious about what people think I should be getting.

Budget is important - easily the limiting factor.

Comments

• I'm not entirely an expert on graphics work, but will try my hand at it.  I do know that if you're using Autocad or anything similar, then you're going to want a powerful graphics card (which you have) and a CPU with high single threaded performance.  In this regard, I would recommend anything with hyperthreading and as high a core clock as you can get (pretty much what you'd want for a gaming computer).

With that said, looking at the Ryzen lineup, I would probably recommend the Ryzen 5 1600X (3.6GHz core clock; 4.0GHz turbo), or if that's too high a cost then the Ryzen 5 1500X (3.5GHz core clock; 3.7GHz turbo).  There's also the Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6GHz core clock; 4.0GHz turbo) but you're not likely to see much (if any) performance improvement over the 1600X due to similar clock speeds.

Everything else in your specs look good to me.
  • Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 319
    edited January 13
    I'd go for the Ryzen 5 1600 non X if you're comfortable overclocking. Cheaper than the 1600x and seems to get same clock speeds when OC'd, also comes with a cooler that you could sell  if you want to use after market cooling. I have heard the Ryzen chips are not the best for PUBG though, not sure why, probably just optimisation for Intel over AMD :(

For video editing I would assume more cores is better depending on what software you use, so the highest core count you can afford is probably best, so R5 1600/X or R7 1700/X would be best if you can afford them.

If you're not in a big hurry it might be worth waiting for Ryzen 2 that has been announced recently and could be compatible with b350 boards (hopefully) with a bios update, hopefully a new mobo/chipset won't be a requirement.

What specs is your current rig?

• Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 980ti Matrix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD | Storage - 2 x 500GB  2.5" Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 OC'd to 100hz |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61
    • HTPC:  CPU - Ryzen 5 1600 | Motherboard - Asrock B350 Fatality mini ITX | RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB) | GPU - MSI GTX 1050ti low profile  | Case - NFC S4 Mini | Boot Drive -  Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" | PSU - HDPLEX internal 300W AC / HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX | Display -  55" Sony 4k TV | Cooling - Noctua NH L9i
    • Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4