tech-city-donate

Asus Rampage II Gene x58 thermal pad thickness

Hi guys! I bought Asus x58 board for 25€. The seller said that it has Northbridge overheating issue. I havent bought prosessor for it yet to test it, but i wanna change the thermal paste and the pads first. The store where i'm gonna order the pads from sells 3 different thickness Arctic pads which are 0.5mm, 1mm and 1.5mm. I was wondering if anyone know's which pads i should go for? For the thermal paste i normally use Noctua NT-H1. If anyone has any tips for my project please let me know.

Comments

• Sir_iceeiceSir_iceeice Posts: 168
    For the Northbridge use thermal paste not a thermal pad.

Motherboard : ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (8 + 4 Power Phase Design)
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k at 4.7GHz  1.32v
    CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240
    Ram: V-Color OC Series 16GB (4x4GB) 2133Mhz 10-11-11-30-1T at 1.550v
    Storage:  ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 480GB and 2Tb 3.5" Seagate
    Graphic Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS
    Mouse: MSI Interceptor
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Red
    Monitors : 3x AOC 22" 1080p, 1x Dell 1080p Monitor

• MaduliMaduli Posts: 2
    Yes i know that but the vrm heatsink it attached to nortbridge heatsink with heatpipe and i've read that if you remove the vrm heatsink you should replace the thermal pad also. 
  • 0.5mm the springs should pull the heatisnk down and fill the gap so nothing to worry about. The thermal paste on these boards is absolute crap though the asus ones are much better than the gigabyte ones I suspect to be actual wood filler.
    I'd recommend cable tying a 50mm fan to the northbridge which should reduce temps anoth 30C if you bclk overclock, but go to the trouble of buying a 3 pin one that can run quietly.