tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

New or Used Options

DuffyDuffy Posts: 4

Last year my son and I built a Ryzen 5-1400 machine with Nvidia 1050Ti, 8GB RAM all new, Corsair case RBG etc.......

Then I found Tech YES City and decided to upgrade my hold HP machine. I kept the i5-750 CPU, added new case and power then found cheap GTX770 graphics card and 16GB RAM on Gumtree. Loads of fun, thanks Brian. Under some benchmark conditions it even beats the new Ryzen machine.

Now I am trying to work out what to do next, for my wife who wants to play Spellforce 3. She has a Toshiba all in one but because they are basically laptops the lack of  a true GPU means the game will not play well.

Searching what is available I have found 2 options:-

Used: ASUS P8P67 PRO, Corei5-3770, G.Skill 16GB DDR3, Galax GTX970/4GB = $775.00 hunting around

New: ASUS Prime B350-Plus, Ryzen 5-1400, G.Skill 16GB DDR 4, Galax GTX970/4GB = $928.00 all new apart from GPU

I figure that the GPU can be upgraded when the prices become realistic. Looking at various benchmarking programmes there does not appear to be a lot between the 2, I just wonder if paying the ~ $200 extra now will be a big benefit in the future.....

For me the used option is interesting because it is like when I used to upgrade cars as a teenager, new has warranties etc....

Your constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• I'd go for the used build if it's a i7 3770 (you may have misspelled that), because the slightly higher IPC isn't worth it with Ryzen IMO.
  • DuffyDuffy Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input @buizel10 you're also correct i7 not i5!  
  • Duffy said:
    Thanks for the input @buizel10 you're also correct i7 not i5!  
    What PSU is in both?
  • DuffyDuffy Posts: 4
    The power supply is a corsair RM650x
  • I love used parts but in that case I'd go with the Ryzen Setup. It is a bit more expensive, won't give you a lot more performance but it is based on a newer platform with a future. Intel 1155 is dead and there is no upgrade path. Maybe you can find used DDR4 memory and lower the price of the whole setup or just wait a few weeks until Ryzen 2 realeased. Many people will jump on the newer chips and sell their "older" Ryzen CPUs for a good price. 

Either way you'll be fine. But I'd give the edge to the newer platform in this case. Unless you can find something way cheaper (such as P55 stuff).

Cheers!