tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

my 2018 build - Hopping on the x58 Train CHOO CHOO :D

So for the past few years my PC has been 
mobo - intel DH61AG, thin itx
CPU - Xeon e3-1260L
GPU - HD 7850 1GB
RAM - 2GB+4GB ram pulled from old laptops
powered by a Dell laptop charger for the mobo, an Xbox 360 Brick powering a x4 riser and GPU put together in a cardboard box.

So this year i started buying parts to put together a better system, The only way its a new system is that it is new to me. 
initially i was just going to upgrade my graphics card as the 7850 was starting to show its age, but with that whole gpu shortage thing i wasn't going paying more for a new one so i found a R9 290 on CeX and then i just started buying more and more parts.

Specs as of now:
Motherboard - ASUS P6T WS Professional - 150 EUR
CPU - X5550 - 4 EUR 
GPU - ASUS Direct CU II R9 290 - 180 EUR
RAM - 3x 2GB 1333Mhz ECC - FREE
PSU - XFX 750W PRO - FREE
Case - CM Masterbox lite 5 RGB - 70 EUR
Cooler - Raijintek Aidos - FREE

So, so far its cost me 404 EUR which Sure i could have saved some more and bought a new, built with current parts PC, BUT WHERES THE FUN IN THAT. A bonus is that this system also acts as a heater!

the X5550 is simply a place holder as i wanted the PC built now and i don't have the 40~EUR for a X5600 series at the moment.
Pulled 4 sticks of that RAM from a dead server, the cooler was taken from my brothers old build and the XFX PSU has been through about 5 systems at this stage, has cables cut off it and all, It has this weird problem where it works 100% fine until you plug it out of the mains at which point it may turn back on when its plugged back in or it might not turn back on for an hour, a day, a week, etc.

The X5550 is currently Overclocked to 3.5Ghz(22x160BCLK)@1.13175v., cant Really push anymore on this cooler in this case which is a shame, from what I've seen in reviews despite it only being a 92mm it performs on par with a Hyper 212. 
Idle temps are at 40C with the glass side panel off and go up 5-8 with it on. With this OC temps Max out at 71/79 with the side panel off/on. If this has thought me anything its to never buy a case with tempered glass just because it looks cool.

Anyway in a few weeks ill hopefully be getting a X56-50/70 and a CM ML240 Cooler.

Comments

• fabio.corradofabio.corrado Posts: 7
    edited February 21
    Nice build! X58 really is something for the passionate tweakers under us. :) Don't forget to change the thermal compound on the northbridge of your motherboard. These boards are quite old at this point and need some maintenance work. You don't want it to die within the next few months ;). And it will also give you some better OC results.

One tipp for overclocking X58 would be to first figure out the max stable bclk setting for your motherboard. You'll have to increase the chipset voltage, qpi link speed etc. Do that procedure with the lowest possible cpu multiplier. Also don't overclock your memory. You want the mobo to be the limiting factor.

Once you figured out the max stable bclk, you can start increasing the multiplier on your CPU and its voltage (power c states etc.). That way you can always be sure that your CPU is hitting a wall and not the mobo.

Once you did that, you can start tuning your memory ;).

X58, a platform to love! But it also really needs a lot of time ^^

I hope you'll be able to increase your overclock. Because your mobo is really good!

Cheers from Switzerland! ;)
  • Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 319
    I'm not sure what you're going for  but the 6 core CPU's don't really add too much to gaming performance in my experience. I have a e5640 clocked to 4.4 and a x5650 clocked to 4.0 and the difference is only noticeable in multi threaded apps. The quads seem to be a much easier overclock. Not sure about your x5550 but my e5640 overclocks like a beast....Are you sure it's the CPU temp holding it back? Maybe northbridge or VRM? I know the Northbridge temps on the x58 mobo's get nice and toasty, try getting a fan on the northbridge heatsink.

I have a couple of spare e5640's, I'll gladly send you one for postage price if you'd like to try one out :)

• Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 1080ti Strix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD | Storage - 2 x 500GB  2.5" Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 OC'd to 100hz |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61
    • HTPC:  CPU - Ryzen 5 1600 | Motherboard - Asrock B350 Fatality mini ITX | RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB) | GPU - MSI GTX 1050ti low profile  | Case - NFC S4 Mini | Boot Drive -  Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" | PSU - HDPLEX internal 300W AC / HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX | Display -  55" Sony 4k TV | Cooling - Noctua NH L9i
    • Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4

• Tech_0ne said:
    I'm not sure what you're going for  but the 6 core CPU's don't really add too much to gaming performance in my experience. I have a e5640 clocked to 4.4 and a x5650 clocked to 4.0 and the difference is only noticeable in multi threaded apps. The quads seem to be a much easier overclock. Not sure about your x5550 but my e5640 overclocks like a beast....Are you sure it's the CPU temp holding it back? Maybe northbridge or VRM? I know the Northbridge temps on the x58 mobo's get nice and toasty, try getting a fan on the northbridge heatsink.

I have a couple of spare e5640's, I'll gladly send you one for postage price if you'd like to try one out :)
    If you get into streaming and stuff like that, the 6-core will help. Also i tend to feel that 6 cores help keep minimum FPS /1% lows a little higher, though i agree they arent too helpful overall strictly for gaming.

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 319
    Tech_0ne said:

If you get into streaming and stuff like that, the 6-core will help. Also i tend to feel that 6 cores help keep minimum FPS /1% lows a little higher, though i agree they arent too helpful overall strictly for gaming.
    Yeah it will definitely be a boost for streaming. I haven't noticed the min FPS difference but I haven't tested them extensively...Depends on the game I would think.

• Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 1080ti Strix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD | Storage - 2 x 500GB  2.5" Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 OC'd to 100hz |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61
    • HTPC:  CPU - Ryzen 5 1600 | Motherboard - Asrock B350 Fatality mini ITX | RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB) | GPU - MSI GTX 1050ti low profile  | Case - NFC S4 Mini | Boot Drive -  Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" | PSU - HDPLEX internal 300W AC / HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX | Display -  55" Sony 4k TV | Cooling - Noctua NH L9i
    • Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4