tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

What is the most effective way to sell used pcs / parts?

Greetings from Poland!
I've got over a dozen used PCs (Dell Optiplex 745/755/780) and a lot of ram's (DDR2/DDR3) and cpu's (E6850/E7400/E8500/Q6700/Q9500)... I wonder what is the most effective way to sell it, I mean short time and good price.
1. Should I take best of all parts and build one pc, then take best parts from the rest of them and so on - I will get pc's on different price level?
2. Or maybe should I build similiar pc's with only one or two better chosen parts ( cpu/ram/gpu/hdd)?
3. Or should I take the minimum (ie. E6850/E7400 + 2GB RAM) and the rest of parts sell separately?
What do you think, what and why would customers expect? Thanks for all suggestions.
Best Regards, Bartek
What is the most effective way to sell used pcs / parts?
  1. What should I do?0 votes
    1. take best of all parts and build one pc, then take best parts from the rest of them and so on
        0.00%
    2. build similiar pc's with only one or two better chosen parts ( cpu/ram/gpu/hdd)
        0.00%
    3. take the reasonable minimum and the rest of parts sell separately
        0.00%
Tagged:

Comments

• Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 319
    I suppose it depends. I normally just get mobo bundles together, CPU/RAM/MOBO. But it might be worth your time to try and get hold of some cheap GPU's and sell them as budget gaming systems, but the price of GPU's at the moment is stupid. For example a year ago I could get a HD7870 for £28, now they are selling for £50-60.

If you could do some 775/771 mods on older 775 boards/771 CPU's it might be worth your time. DDR3 modules  might be worth selling on their own.

If you can get some decent deals on GPU's and sell them locally i'd say make some low cost/budget gaming PC's....If not part them out and dump the cases as they are too expensive to post.

• Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 1080ti Strix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD | Storage - 2 x 500GB  2.5" Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 OC'd to 100hz |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61
    • HTPC:  CPU - Ryzen 5 1600 | Motherboard - Asrock B350 Fatality mini ITX | RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB) | GPU - MSI GTX 1050ti low profile  | Case - NFC S4 Mini | Boot Drive -  Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" | PSU - HDPLEX internal 300W AC / HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX | Display -  55" Sony 4k TV | Cooling - Noctua NH L9i
    • Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4

• JakeJake Posts: 6
    edited March 8
    I have the exact same question.  I want to build a new computer, but do not have the cash on hand to do so.  Any thoughts on how I should piece the following out?

CPU: AMD - FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($133.36) 
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.89) - USED IN KRAKEN
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - DARK ROCK TF 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($76.99) 
    Motherboard: ASRock - 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($65) 
    Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($168.23) 
    Storage: Axiom - Signature III 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($75.00) 
    Storage: Intel - 1500 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($75.00) 
    Storage: WD Black M.2 NVMe 256GB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($135.00) 
    Storage: SanDisk - Ultra 3D 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99) 
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.00) 
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.00) 
    Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($550.00) 
    Case: Corsair - Air 240 ATX Micro Tower Case  ($75.00) 
    Power Supply: Thermaltake - Toughpower GOLD 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99) 
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($128.89) 
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM 37.9 CFM  92mm Fan  ($10.95) - USED IN KRAKEN 
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM 31.4 CFM  80mm Fan  ($9.85)  - Exhaust
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM 31.4 CFM  80mm Fan  ($9.85)  - Exhaust
    Case Fan: Fractal Design - HP12-PWM 61.4 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.80)  - Push config in H55
    Case Fan: Fractal Design - HP12-PWM 61.4 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.80)  - Intake
    Other: Cosmos ® 8 PCS Copper VGA RAM Cooling Heatsinks cooler + Cosmos Cable Tie  ($6.96) 
    Other: SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04)  ($11.99) 
    Other: NZXT RL-KRG12-B1 Kraken G12 GPU Matte Black  ($29.99) 
    Other: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset Function and Audio Feedback ES02-PCIE  ($29.99) 
    Other: Aquacomputer kryoM.2 evo PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter for M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD, M-Key with passive heatsink  ($36.64) 
    Total: $2115.80 approx.

I live in the US and I found these prices pretty much from PC Partpicker and what's currently marked on Amazon.  I would love to sell all of it as one build as opposed to parting it out though.
  • FunPosterFunPoster Posts: 22
    CPU+RAM+Mobo combos are always pretty popular, although it could be worth selling the RAM on its own in order to take advantage of the insane memory prices at the moment. The cooler can potentially go separately. GPU can go on its own very easily and quickly, although you're probably better off just keeping it. Drives are usually pretty easy to offload as separate units, although you shouldn't expect to get too much for them. Case (and all fans+accessories) and PSU are probably best off being sold together.

You say that you want to sell it as a single system, but the problem is that FX systems have not retained their value very well at all. It's a pretty poisonous name on the used market, I've found, since the FX CPUs were renowned for their obscene power draw and relative lack of power. Trying to sell the system as a whole would probably just mean you're getting less than you normally would for the pieces of hardware that actually ARE worth a lot at the moment. Furthermore, you SHOULD NOT be using pcpartpicker to try and match prices. You're going to be getting 50% of the prices listed there AT BEST, barring the GPU and RAM, which actually are worth quite a lot at the moment. Seriously, I've seen people list FX-8320s for the equivalent of 62 USD and not get any offers. People aren't going to bite on a platform that dated, when similarly dated platforms (LGA 1155 and even LGA 1156) perform far better for the money.

You need to be realistic about what other people want, and what you want to move onto. What's the purpose of your new build? Are you planning on downsizing to a smaller system, or are you hoping that you can leverage all of the stuff you've accumulated (drives, accessories, coolers) in order to move up to a more modern, but streamlined system (say a modern i5 with a just the NVMe SSD and a single hard drive)?

If your plan is to just try and sell everything and hope that you have enough money to do a more modern build with mostly new parts, you're going to be sorely disappointed and end up with a weaker system.
    CPU - R7 1700 @ 3.9GHz | Motherboard- Asus Crosshair VI Hero | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz | GPU - Asus GTX 1080 Strix | Case - Fractal Define R5 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Storage - Mushkin Reaktor 1TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB  | PSU - Seasonic x-750 750W | Display - Asus PB258Q 25" 1440p |  Cooling - Noctua NH-D15

• JakeJake Posts: 6
    edited March 9
    @FunPoster

Thank you SO much for your input.  I am TOTALLY on board with everything you've stated.  And yes, I realize that PCPartpicker has pricing issues, it's just that it was the easiest way for me to list everything that I have.

I would LOVE to downsize to a smaller system.  I'm here because of Bryan @TechYESCity making all of his APU builds.  I could really just throw away the processor and mobo.

I dunno...maybe I'll just try and sell the memory and keep the rest so I can save up for another CPU+MOBO+RAM combo.  Thank you again for your thoughts.  I don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of.  This is going to be a great forum for me.

Best Regards,
    Jake
  • Tech_0neTech_0ne Posts: 319
    edited March 9
    @Jake ; Glad you like the forum and are gonna stick around :)

Those new Ryzen APU's are very tempting, makes me consider selling the r5 1600 and 1050ti in my HTPC and just getting one of those instead. It would serve it's purpose very well, but damn I like to be able to play Witcher 3 on the big telly downstairs even if it's very rarely, and the 1050ti just about manages at acceptable FPS/Resolution, can't see the APU's doing that :P

Back on topic though, if you can sell locally and people are willing to collect, full systems are the way to go. Otherwise take the extra time and effort to part them out, more money that way......And lets face it posting/shipping a full PC is asking for trouble with damages and such.

• Main Rig:  CPU - i7 4790k | Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z97X | RAM - Corsair LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) | GPU - Asus  GTX 1080ti Strix | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD | Storage - 2 x 500GB  2.5" Sandisk SSD's | PSU - Seasonic M12ii 850 | Display - Qnix QX2710 OC'd to 100hz |  Cooling - NZXT Kraken x61
    • HTPC:  CPU - Ryzen 5 1600 | Motherboard - Asrock B350 Fatality mini ITX | RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB) | GPU - MSI GTX 1050ti low profile  | Case - NFC S4 Mini | Boot Drive -  Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" | PSU - HDPLEX internal 300W AC / HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX | Display -  55" Sony 4k TV | Cooling - Noctua NH L9i
    • Laptop: HP Omen 15 |  i5 7300HQ | GTX 1050 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8GB DDR4