tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

Overclockable LGA1155 Xeons? - Do they exist?

I have an ASUS P8Z77 Motherboard and currently run an i7 2700K @ 4.6Ghz. I've paired it with a Zotac GTX1070 Mini 8GB, they're surprisingly well matched for the age of the CPU. Is there a 6 core Xeon that works with LGA1155.

I'm in Uni so I'm limited on budget, but would be happy to buy a new CPU (Xeon) and then sell the 2700K to make back my money or even make a profit.

CPU-Z Image of my CPU setup.

Comments

• exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 446
    You can BCLK overclock all of the e3's I believe if you have a motherboard that supports it. I'm not sure if any of them are unlocked but in at least one shape or form all of that generation of xeon is overclockable.
  • FunPosterFunPoster Posts: 22
    edited March 10
    To my knowledge every single LGA 1155 Xeon is a quad core, with all hexacore models being limited to the LGA 1356 (server) and LGA 2011 platforms. As exturkconnor said, you can BCLK OC them, but you're limited to a base clock of about 103 on most motherboards, with 108 being the upper limit, and that would still leave with you a processor only doing 3.78GHz on all four cores at best. It's not worth it.
    CPU - R7 1700 @ 3.9GHz | Motherboard- Asus Crosshair VI Hero | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz | GPU - Asus GTX 1080 Strix | Case - Fractal Define R5 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Storage - Mushkin Reaktor 1TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB  | PSU - Seasonic x-750 750W | Display - Asus PB258Q 25" 1440p |  Cooling - Noctua NH-D15

• exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 446
    edited March 11
    BCLK Overclocking in this era has the issues of bringing everything up with it including like SATA. So it's got a 10% so lock on it. Because anything higher than that will cause issues. There are however a few motherboards that will allow you to do both the 10% lock and lock your multiplier at the turbo multi. That combination could get you decent results with the higher end CPU's from the lineup. But those cpu's also aren't super cheap. But yeah a e3-1290v2 could run at the best case scenario 4.2-4.3 with very specific probably very expensive motherboards.

The plain and simple reality is that this is really when intel stated to lock stuff down and really make a clear cut difference in what the purpose of cpu's were. Xeon's are all about stability and accuracy so they lock out anything that would allow you to negatively effect that.
  • sell the motherboard with the CPU and see if you have enough to score an E5-1650 v1 or v2 and an x79 motherboard that can overclock it. 

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//