tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

Swapping out AMD Phenom for a Intel 4th Gen board+CPU?

So, my account had its password reset (for some unknown reason), yes the username was brian.ortiz, but that's not the case. I'm looking for a LGA 1150 socket motherboard for Intel 4th Generation CPUs (i5 or i7 preferably), a CPU of what I mentioned with some DDR3 RAM that has 4 slots. My Phenom build is good, but not good enough. And I wanna squeeze more performance out of that machine. Is there any cheapo's where I can find the Motherboard + CPU for a good price? Doesn't matter if it has 1GB DDR3, I'll swap more memory in later.

Comments

• FunPosterFunPoster Posts: 22
    Your best hope is searching locally. Ebay boards and CPUs are generally overpriced (although you could always find a crazy deal), and the server/workstation chips aren't old/common enough to be a good deal on Aliexpress yet. Aliexpress motherboards are also another problem - they overprice legitimate motherboards since the stock is low, and then also stock many recreations with lesser VRMs etc. under legit names for cheaper prices.

Alternatively you could go for LGA 1155 which is cheaper and more likely to be sold off as people FINALLY upgrade from those systems, but I'm sure you've thought of that.
    CPU - R7 1700 @ 3.9GHz | Motherboard- Asus Crosshair VI Hero | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz | GPU - Asus GTX 1080 Strix | Case - Fractal Define R5 | Boot Drive - Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Storage - Mushkin Reaktor 1TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB  | PSU - Seasonic x-750 750W | Display - Asus PB258Q 25" 1440p |  Cooling - Noctua NH-D15

• Yes, I did.
  • I don’t know why people say they want to go 4th gen I found it to be the worst intel chip I’ve had in terms of heat(even delidded) and overclocking performance wasn’t better than the ivy bride cpu I replaced. 4th gen are great on laptops for power efficiency though.
    I’d recommend going for a non-k skylake cpu and a z170 board, Ddr4 prices are pretty high at the moment but 8gb killisre is pretty cheap on aliexpress which gets you around that. Using a basic intel cooler will get you to 4ghz on a skylake cpu and a aftermarket one will get you to 4.6ghz. 
    Once you’re on z170 you can upgrade to faster ram when you have cash or when prices come down if you want to spend for minimal gains or go upto 6700k/7700k when you have the cash.
  • Scratch that, I will make a new topic. I went with the Xeon.