tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

E3-1270 v2 + GPU vs Ryzen 2400G budget build?

Hi guys!

So i was checking out Brian's video, about the top non overclockable cpu's 2018, and after watching some Russian vids i can't escape the thought of building a budget system with used hardware.

I was really thinking of buying the 2400G, to then pair it up with a GTX 1050 ti (or equal) later on. But after watching the vid and doing research, i have the feeling that a E3-1270 v2 build is actually quite appealing.

The overal price for the cpu, mobo and ram will only set me back 200 Euro's! But i have no idea how the 1270 stacks up against the ryzen 1400/2400G, except for some sythetic benchmarks found online... 

I know the upgrade path is the strong point for Ryzen, but then again i've been running a AM2+ for ten years or so... And upgrading to new stuff feels akward know, especially with current ram prices. So i was hoping to bridge the gap for about two years, and upgrade to newer stuff once the market settles down... 

Also the idea of building a old system, which can potentially equal new hardware in performance  is very cool. 

So my question is... Should i go new or used? Found great deals on Aliexpress and local tech sites/ebay, but don't know which route to take yet. Will desktop performance fir instance be way less? I know i will get faster performance than i have know, with my trusty amd athlon II x3 450 lol... 

Anyways just thinking about swapping the cpu, mobo and memory and adding a GTX 1050 ti. Recently replaced my PSU (beQuiet 400W) and might get another cheap case for the build. All in all i can save to a 100 to a 150 Euro's on the build compared to the 2400G build, for potentially better overall performance?

Is my conclusion wrong or right? I also have the Optiplex option in mind, but i like building myself... 

Cheers!!!

Comments

• At this point, 100-150 euros more will pay off more in 5-6 (or up to 10, if you keep your hardware that long again) years than going with an dead socket system upgrade. The ivy system will play everything well, probably as well if not better than a stock Ryzen 4c/4t and have more ability to multi-task thanks to being 4/8 instead of 4/4, but you the advantage is as you said...upgrade path. Even if by the time you upgrade, AM4 is dead...you'll have far better CPUs available as secondhand upgrades. 

Nothing wrong with the Ivy system you'd build, but if you want a real upgrade and want it to last...i wouldnt do it. Just sucks about RAM prices, but maybe you can get RAM secondhand and try to save that way.

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

• BudgetdudeBudgetdude Posts: 2
    At this point, 100-150 euros more will pay off more in 5-6 (or up to 10, if you keep your hardware that long again) years than going with an dead socket system upgrade. The ivy system will play everything well, probably as well if not better than a stock Ryzen 4c/4t and have more ability to multi-task thanks to being 4/8 instead of 4/4, but you the advantage is as you said...upgrade path. Even if by the time you upgrade, AM4 is dead...you'll have far better CPUs available as secondhand upgrades. 

Nothing wrong with the Ivy system you'd build, but if you want a real upgrade and want it to last...i wouldnt do it. Just sucks about RAM prices, but maybe you can get RAM secondhand and try to save that way.
    Wow awesome advice! You are right in all aspects... Will be weighing my options!

Thanks again mate!!!
    Thanked by 1CoalitionGaming