tech-city-donate

X58

IanIan Posts: 3
Hi,

Firstly like to say, Bryan I am now subbed to your YouTube channel as your uploads are awesome,,,keep up the good work.

I am hopping that someone can point me in the right direction with advise.

My old rig that I built approx 8 years ago is playing up and as I have seen resent uploads there maybe be a good and cheap way to upgrade the CPU etc on my X58 MB, specs as listed :

Asus P6T deluxe V2
Intel 920 DO @ 4gb,,,,,now and then as crashes even on default settings
12GB Gskill DD3 @ 1600mhrz
 EVGA970
PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 1200watt

I don't really want to bin this rig as I think it can be made good and keep up with modern gaming etc.

Please can someone recommend a swap out CPU,,,,I was thinking X5675 or X3690 ?? also would I need to do a bios update or is the board compatible with the above Xeon's.

Hopefully if compatible I would look forward to some overclocking and would be cooled with a purchase of a Corsair Hydro H100X 

Would it be worthwhile changing the thermal paste on the south-bridge etc to freshen it up, if so what would be a good replacement paste.

I look forward to anyone's reply and would be greatly received.

Many Thanks,

Ian.

Comments

• exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 409
    If you are already having crashing issue with a 920 you probably have an issue with your rig. Failures where something occasionally stops working usually wouldn't be cpu related. That would normally mean you have a problem with the motherboard or psu. 

As far as replacing the paste on your heatsinks if it's never been done before it's probably a good idea. You can pretty much use whatever thermal compound you like. I use Arctic ceramic myself. It's cheaper than most of the pastes people consider high end and tends to perform with a couple degrees but your mileage may vary depending on what you are running.

As far as the cpu choices go I'd stay away from the 90's. The x5690 and the w3690 are both very expensive. You can usually get the 80 versions the x5680 and w3680 for 70-75% the cost and get the same performance those parts also have unlocked multi's. The x5675 is a fine part too basically a better binned x5670 or w3670. No unlocked multi so you have to overclock the old fashioned way. Some people are uncomfortable with that so keep it in mind when you make a purchasing decision. But I'm not sure you should invest in a cpu at all when your current system isn't stable.
  • IanIan Posts: 3
    Hi exturkconner,

Many thanks for the reply and feedback.

I am just trying to obtain information prior to me making any purchase.

This rig is used by my kids (3 girls lol ) so nothing really demanding. I may bite the bullet and have a complete new rig built for them but seems a bit of a waste,,,,just cant be doing with the ball ache of a strip down,,,lol

Ian.
  • CoalitionGamingCoalitionGaming Posts: 268
    Do you have the same issues if you disable your overclock? 4ghz is a pretty big OC for the i7-920 i thought. If no issues when its running at stock, your board is probably fine. Redo the thermal paste on the northbridge and VRM heatsinks and stuff like that, then throw in (depending on how involved you want to get with overclocking so here goes in order from easiest to most time consuming): Xeon W3680 (multiplier unlocked, hits 4.2 easily), Xeon X5675 (Bryan got his recent one to 4.5ghz), Xeon X5687 (if you only want to do a minor OC or run stock since it has the fastest base clock of any socket 1366 4-core or 6 core CPU).

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//