tech-city-donate

x58 Problems

Hi guys and girls,

My mate just gifted me his old system because it was having issues he could not be bothered fixing. 

i7 950
x58 Sabertooth
6gig ddr3 ram
Nvidia 570

I swapped in a new harddrive and did a fresh windows install. The gpu is having artifact issues so I think its stuffed  but other than that it was working fine. But then I tried to install the latest graphics drivers and now I am stuck in a boot loop. Any suggestions on a cause or fix? Anther mate is sending me a different gpu to stick in there to give a go im just praying its not the motherboard.

Comments

• exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 445
    Usually driver issues won't be a problem until after you enter windows. 

If the system was crashing after bios than that would be easy to diagnose.

As it stands it could be that the card is done. But what we do to trouble shoot is rule out the easy things first. So you should pull out the card clean the pcie contacts with some alcohol. Let it dry. Then reseat the card and try again. If that still doesn't help then we move on. In this case unless you have another power supply to try or another motherboard than the easiest next step becomes waiting for that other card and trying it.

If the other card works than it's clearly an issue with the card itself and not your motherboard or psu. But it is still possible it's some sort of compatibility issue. So what I would ask you to do when you get the new cards is go to add remove software and delete any and all AMD, and Geforce drivers from the machine. And then go to settings and allow windows to get all of it's updates done. With that done shut down the system and reslot the 570. If you succeed in getting to windows you are going to want to go to nvidia's site and download the newest drivers for your card.

If we do not succeed in getting to windows we get to that point where you have to ask yourself how much trouble you want to go through for a 570. If the answer is not at all. Then you can toss it up for sale on an online auction site with a starting bid of whatever and sell it as if for parts. And get whatever for it. Or if you don't want to bother with selling it you could just trash it. If the answer is "I don't want the card to go to waste let's try and fix it" then you have a couple of things to do. But mostly you are going to want to look up some tutorials on how to bios flash a card. And that would be the next thing to try. You have a second card so even if the flash fails you can use the other card to try it again. 

Now you can also try ripping it apart and as Bryan says give it the good old tech yes city lovin. Clean it. Put on new thermal compound and maybe new thermal pads as needed. But if you aren't getting any video signal at all cleaning it isn't likely to solve that. If your issue was heat this would most likely be a cure. 
  • SprigganSpriggan Posts: 6
    Im not worried about the card. Im more just interested at this point in why it is doing it. The pc boots fine with no graphics drivers but then will not boot when they are installed. In the end its a free pc Im just doing it for the fun at this point.
  • exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 445
    Like I said that's weird. I mean your bios doesn't use drivers. It shouldn't be affecting boot just getting into windows. 

• Have you tried a different graphics card?

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

Sigh, my mates graphics card just arrived but the power supply is missing its 6 plus 2 pin connectors so now i have to wait for the original owner of the system to check he has not thrown them out or I have to try and get replacements sent. The world does not want me to get this thing running
    Update

Everything is working perfect :D Bios update new hd and graphics card fixed all issues. Now I just need to clean it up and pop a xeon in there
  • Hey i just wanted to add I had the exact same problem.  X58 sabertooth bios version 0603.  I bought it off someone 2nd had.  It had a gtx 570 in it.  Booted to windows 10 fine without drivers.  Once i installed nvidia drivers it would crash every time on windows 10 load.  Swapped in a hd 7870 and tried my rx 480.  Both booted without bios updates without issue.  

So if you encounter a problem with gtx 570 boot loop, you are not alone.
  • @Spriggan ; Can you tell me what bios version you updated to?
    Hey i just wanted to add I had the exact same problem.  X58 sabertooth bios version 0603.  I bought it off someone 2nd had.  It had a gtx 570 in it.  Booted to windows 10 fine without drivers.  Once i installed nvidia drivers it would crash every time on windows 10 load.  Swapped in a hd 7870 and tried my rx 480.  Both booted without bios updates without issue.  

So if you encounter a problem with gtx 570 boot loop, you are not alone.
    Nice to know it was not just me