tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

Cheap x99 board

So on EVGA midweek madness sale last night I picked up an x99 micro2 for 40 bucks. 
Now I'm kinda debating what to do with it. To sit on it until the prices of processors come down. To move it for a profit. Or to try and just buy a decent performer right now. With it being so cheap a motherboard and cpu combo for like a 5820k should still be less than 200 but with an i7 I can't use ecc and ram is stupid expensive right now and gah. 
Such a headache. I think I am leaning towards selling it.

Comments

• a_weak_geeka_weak_geek Posts: 22
    Well, if 16GB DDR4 RAM and am i7 5820K for about US$330 are worth it to you (that's what I was able to find them for just now with a quick eBay search).

Trouble with X99 is that the processors are just generally more expensive then they're worth.  Couple with the still stupid expensive price of DDR4 RAM and it's a hard platform to justify, even with such a cheap motherboard.

So, if you're not desperate for a new rig right this moment, then my recommendation would probably be to just sell the motherboard (you should be able to at least double your money) and wait for either a good X58 or X79 board to pop for around US$120 or less (they show up every now and then below this price).  Then just grab any of the available six core options for less than US$100.  This'll give you similar performance to what you would get with an i7 5820K but with cheaper DDR3 RAM.

I just did a quick eBay search and found an MSI X58 motherboard, X5650 CPU, and 16GB Kingston 1600MHz RAM for $198.95.  A decent cooler and some overclocking and that'll run toe-to-toe with the 5820k or the Ryzen 5 1600.
  • exturkconnerexturkconner Posts: 446
    x58 is my current platform and it doesn't work for my need. 
    What I'd like is to try and trade the x99 board for an x79 board. Or get the cash from the sale of the x99 to purchase an x79. But I am not desperate I have a tide me over system. So I might just wait and see. I'll have the x58 system and the x99 motherboard both for sale or trade soon and I'll also have the tide me over system I'd be willing to move to get the "right" system in hand.
  • Oh dang, trading an x99 board for an x79 board is a weird but good idea (well it would sound weird to other people i mean) but definitely the right way to go for a more affordable but highly capable setup. 

Tho i see ebay listings for Xeon E5-1650v3 CPUs (overclockable/unlocked) from Hong Kong for under $200...though honestly x99 is such a tough sell cuz of CPU prices with Ryzen so competitive. Same for x79, but obviously its the board prices thats the problem there. 

Good luck on figuring this one out tho!

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

There's actually a couple auctions right now for ES chips. One is an e5-2640 v3 and the other is for an e5-2690 v3. They are both going for short money. I might take a gamble on one if I can get it cheaply enough.
    No ones really bit on trading yet. So I'm in the sit on it until the xeons come down. Or wait for the right trade sort of head space right now. I'm not in a rush.
  • There's actually a couple auctions right now for ES chips. One is an e5-2640 v3 and the other is for an e5-2690 v3. They are both going for short money. I might take a gamble on one if I can get it cheaply enough.
    No ones really bit on trading yet. So I'm in the sit on it until the xeons come down. Or wait for the right trade sort of head space right now. I'm not in a rush.
    Those tend to go for cheaper than the E5-16xx series though since they cant overclock. Considering sticking an E5-2690v2 in my test bench/encoding PC though....especially since its on an OEM mobo that cant OC. Hmmmm

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast
    //Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz//EVGA GTX 980ti SC+//16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1600//OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w PSU//Asus P9X79e-WS Mobo//Asus vg248qe 144hz 24" 1080p monitor//Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO on CPU//Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 on GPU//Deepcool Dukase v2 mid-tower case//

Ended up winning an e5-2640 v3 ES QGSF 2.6 base 3.4 turbo. 8 core 16 thread. Was 113.50.
    I think I can force it to turbo all the time, and can bclk overclock it like 5% or so. Seems like it should make a respectable rig. Might end up turning it in my primary with some of the other stuff I've purchased recently. 
  • nice!

Helgaiden
    Rig Specs:
    Codename Red-Beast