tech-city-donate

Hello Yes Men & Women! :)

We are moving EVERYTHING to a new much better community system so please go register, create your profile and let's build even better TYC community!

You can chat, sell, buy, advertise, create pages, groups, events, use forum and tons more!

URL: https://techcity.tv/community/

P.S. We are still setting everything up so please bare with us!
P.P.S. Please go and REGISTER, you need to do it because we can't transfer you automatically, the differences between systems are huge so we all need to do it manually, it only takes a few seconds :)

Mostly done.

So I had mentioned this build a bit in my other thread. 
Got a really good deal on an evga micro2 x99 board (44.99 on midweek madness sale). More or less made it my mission at that point to build a budget friendly machine.

Picked up an EVGA DG-75 Alpine White for 40.00 on sale frame newegg.
Got a QGSF Classified xeon E5-2650v3 (minus tubro). For 113.50.
got 16gb of laptop ddr4 for stupid cheap. Was 40 for the quad channel kit. 
Got some of the adapters from an ebay sell so my 16gb ended up costing me 55. It's not especially fast ram but it gets the job done and it was cheap.
Also snagged a gtx 1080 off of midweek madness for 300. At the time the new cards hadn't been announced yet. So it was a super good deal. Now it's still a pretty good deal.
Picked up a CoolerMaster Masterliquid lite 240 for 40 on newegg clearance.
Grabed some uphere stuff for cosmetics. Got a set of 5 rgb halo fans with a fan hub and remote. Was 35 on amazon.
Also grabbed uphere sleeved extension cable set in red and black for 25.
Purchased some combs for it but they have yet to arrive. So those extensions will get a bit more tidy at some point.
Just tossed in my current ssd and hdd's.

Well laid out case. Pretty attractive. The tempered glass it more or less a lost cause. It's translucent in a very minimal way. You aren't going to see your build inside. You can see the lighting if you have lights of good strength. I'll post a video at some point to illustrate the lightning. Why bother to make a tempered glass case you can't see into? Honestly I have no idea. The second ssd sled scew placement ended up being the perfect place to attach my fan hub/rgb controller box. Unintended design thing of course but it worked out just super well.

So for about 610 bucks that's what I was a able to put together a 8 core 16 thread I guess editing rig? It doesn't really have the cpu horse power to be a gamer. I am still tinkering with the overclock but best case scenario is still going to be sub 3 ghz. Was my own fault I researched the qgsf before purchasing but pretty much everyone said was that it was a E5-2650v3. Everyone failed to mention it lacked turbo. So instead of being able to have this be something in the ballpark of 3.7 overclocked. I'll be likely at around 2.8-2.9.

Still a pretty mean workstation.

And it's actually the first case I've ever purchased new now that I think back on it. Which is kind of like some sort of weird milestone I guess.
On another note I hate rgb but the fan kit in red only saved 3 dollars and it didn't come with a fan hub. Given that this motherboard had so few fan connections that really didn't work for me.

Thinking of calling it ArcticInferno. 

Comments

• And the video. Pretty unimpressive I know.
  • And cable combs for a bit more cleanliness. 

And also a lil show of how bright the fans are in a dark room. Just so the side panel being almost opaque has some sort of reference point. It takes this much light to be barely visible.

https://youtu.be/9305Roa2qlw
  • dirtboydirtboy Posts: 175
    that's a pretty nice build there exturkconner! 
    Tech City army Bro fist!!  
      --- Forum  Moderator ---

• It was weird. I've never really built a pc that required a bunch of money. I never thought I'd build a 700 dollar rig. It just kinda came together in drips and drabs. Pretty happy with how it came out. Still super bummed about the lack of turbo. I pretty much have to either sell the rig or upgrade to a gaming cpu and that's going to add more cost. 
    I know I got a silly good deal on the cpu. So I might be able to sell it and not have to pay a ton to get one of the x99 i7's. I'll have to think about it for awhile.
  • It was weird. I've never really built a pc that required a bunch of money. I never thought I'd build a 700 dollar rig. It just kinda came together in drips and drabs. Pretty happy with how it came out. Still super bummed about the lack of turbo. I pretty much have to either sell the rig or upgrade to a gaming cpu and that's going to add more cost. 
    I know I got a silly good deal on the cpu. So I might be able to sell it and not have to pay a ton to get one of the x99 i7's. I'll have to think about it for awhile.
    I'm not too sure how much the lack of turbo affects it overall, but I did build a surprisingly similar system for a friend of mine last year.  He's taking audio engineering courses and hoping to get into music and audio engineering for video game design.  Or something to that affect.  Anyway, his classes used ProTools which is very heavily multi-threaded, so I wound up using an e5 2650 V3 ES QEYN, 16GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB.  All this on an ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer motherboard.  He still uses it today and can play any game that he wants with it with no issues.  So I would think you'd be fine, even though you would still miss out on some gaming performance from the lower clock speeds.

On the other hand, nice build and great price for the hardware!
  • Well if it had the turbo clock you'd be talking about 3.4 as the base. With the bclk I'm getting of 108. That would be upping me to 3.6-3.7 as compared to my current 2.8. That's a rather large difference. It's mostly just that it's pretty heavily limiting the 1080 that's in it now. If I was to toss in my rx 480 it would be a better pairing. But I mean the entire purpose of shoving this thing together was to use these parts that I got especially good deals on. Like I said I got a banging good deal on the cpu. If I could move it for a 200-250 I would be well on my way to getting a 5820k 5930k   or a 6800k. Would make for a more balance rig. Less cores and threads more clock. Overclocking support without the risks involved with bclk on the platform. Would make for a system suitable for work and for play. Where as this currently is more a work machine. A work machine with some flair sure but a work machine none the less.
  • WavadeeWavadee Posts: 94
    Looks good buddy, I am a sucker for black and white builds and as soon as you throw in a little red  :p